LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My friend has located a dog which was lost and there is a

Customer Question

My friend has located a dog which was lost and there is a Reward of $5000. A person in the area has taken it and passing it off as her own. My friend contacted the owner and he is acting strange. She has given him 2 addresses but he is not sure which is right. The reward was just posted around the neighborhood. Does she have a legal right to the reward and what can she do to obtain the reward? The dog is chipped so can be identified.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 4 months ago.

Did she know about the reward when she found the dog and contacted the owner?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was posted and she is a dog walker in the neighborhood so she knows a lot of the dogs and a few weeks after she noticed the dog and is pretty certain that it is the dog.

Thank you. Yes, if a reward was being offered and your friend found the dog and it was returned to the owner, she would be entitled to the reward. The reward was offered by the owner, your friend knew about it and performed by finding the dog. If the women does not pay what was offered, then your friend can sue her for the $5000. A party can not make a false/misleading offer, which someone acts on and relies on, when they have no obligation to do so and then not pay

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns.