LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I sent the lender a letter giving them 3 weeks to remove the

Customer Question

I sent the lender a letter giving them 3 weeks to remove the abandonded vehichle which has been setting in my yard for almost two years. Lender has been asked to remove vehicle. Can I legally get rid of the vehicle. Loan is $5000. Value 1300.00 I just want it gone tired of moving it. No plates or insurance on vehicle.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. Who does this vehicle belong to? Was it just left on your property?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Car belongs to my wife she purchased it in 2014. She stopped paying on it. Notified lender that it required too much work could not afford to pay for repairs and pay for car to. Asked lender to repo vehicle . Have not heard anything from lender. I sent formal registered letter asking them to come and get vehicle in three weeks or I was going to dispose of it.

Thank you. It is very odd that if payments have not been made on it after all this time, the car has not be repossessed. However, the lender does not have to come and take the car, since it is her responsibility. They can sue her for damages suffered and eventually take the car back but if you were to simply dispose of it, the liability for the amount owed on the car, would remain. The balance would not go away and it is up to your wife, on what she wants to do. 2 years is a lot of time but they do not have to simply come back and get it, if they do not want it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a 2003 pt curiser loan balance is $5000. Book value is $1300.00. Can I sell the car for parts as is with no title.

Whoever is the owner of the vehicle, can sell it. However, the obligation to pay the $5000 will remain. You could then take the money from the sale and see if you can settle the amount owed and if they would agree to accept it, to cancel out the balance

Hi,are you still with me?