Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

My dad and I entered a car lease together - he as the

Customer Question

My dad and I entered a car lease together - he as the primary, me as the co-signer. He agreed to make the payments until I graduate from college (5/2017). He is now saying he will not pay. Since I am in college, I cannot afford to get it refinanced and buy it myself. Can I sue my father to refinance it since he's stating he won't make the payments? I don't want my credit to be impacted due to a possible repossession.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You can try to negotiate a voluntary repossession. That is an agreed resolution where you voluntarily return the car to the lender. Since the terms are negotiated, you may be able to get them to agree not to report it. Since it is a negotiated settlement, you can request any terms you want.

Otherwise, you may be able to sue him and allege promissory estoppel based upon your reasonable reliance on his promise to pay until you graduate.