Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I have a civil action order against my wife. I needed to

Customer Question

I have a civil action order against my wife. I needed to change some items on it or even discard it completely. Do I need a lawyer or can I go myself to court to get it discarded.
This is in the state of NJ
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would amend your suit here.It would be retitled Plaintiff's First Amended ........and you do the changes here within t he Petiition/Complaint that you need to do. If you need to do another one Plaintiff's Second Amended...and so forth.This lets th e court only consider the newest version and disregard the older one here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What if I want to drop completely. Does the defendant need to be in court as well. Do I need lawyer or can I do on my own.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

No the lawyer doe s not need to be there.You would terminate the lawyer in writing tot he judge by letter asking that the matter be dismissed here.The court can do so and end the suit.
A letter here should resolve all of this and dismiss the suit.I appreciate the chance to follow up and clarify.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just sending a letter will do. Or is there something else required.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

No that should do it, make sure you indicate you have terminated lawyer and are asking to dismiss pro se here.

And copy the lawyer as well.

That would do it, judge will sign dismissal order.Thanks again.