Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

My company internal auditor has reached out to me by email

Customer Question

My company internal auditor has reached out to me by email to clarify $3000 of the charges by providing my credit card statement to support the claims. I falsified expenses of around total amount of $15000-$20000, but I am not sure if they know about the rest of the charges since they only asked me to clarify $3000. All these false expenses are submitted with falsified receipts into the same expense system.
How should I respond to the email?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 4 months ago.
I would highly recommend confessing to what you have done to minimize the chances of any criminal liability or civil civil liability.
If you do not disclose the information and they find out later they could press charges or file a lawsuit against you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think they would have press charges anyways since the amount is too high and there are multiple falsified documents? Confessing it will make it an easy case for them to charge me and I have no way to fight back when it gets to criminal case? Or do you think if I confess, they may have sympathy for me for falsifying receipts and steal $15000 from them?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Or would you suggest to hire attorney to reply and work with my company for settlement?

I would recommend working through an attorney who could negotiate a release. It is hard to predict how they will react but their reaction will be worse if they discover it on their own.