Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

My son's friend (known for his poor judgment) sent him a

Customer Question

My son's friend (known for his poor judgment) sent him a highly inappropriate text thinking it was funny. The friend sent it to my son's business cell, even though my son had told the friend to only call or text my son on my son's personal cellphone. My son glanced at his business cell, saw he had received a text and who it was from and quickly forwarded it to his personal cell number and pretty much forgot about it, thinking he would read it later after work. My son did completely forget about it until several days later when he began noticing something wrong in the behavior of his supervisor toward him. He shortly found out that when he thought he forwarded the text to his own cell, in his hurry he had missed his cell number by one digit and the text (he was now informed by his boss that it was a sexually explicit picture with some stupid caption) had gone to a single mother who saw that the text was from a phone belonging to the company and was traced easily to my son. My son was basically dismissed from his job even though his supervisor and regional director completely believed him about what happened. They knew his character, saw that the random lady's number was indeed one digit off from my son's, etc., however, because it had gone to the regional office, it was out of their hands. A police officer called my son and questioned him about the incident and also seemed to believe what had happened. The lady did not press charges and after a while my son managed to find another good job. Our question is this: is the incident on any kind of record for my son?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

This is Samuel.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

I am glad your son was able to get other employment. No there should be no criminal record of any kind for your son. His employment file may contain something about the incident because the employer would want to be able to oppose unemployment and any type of wrongful termination suit. But nothing in any public record.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome. If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.