Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I live in Texas and rent an apartment. My roommate died on

Customer Question

I live in Texas and rent an apartment. My roommate died on Sunday and I am not sure if I pay the reletting fee required and furnish them a death certificate for my lease if that releases me from any further financial responsibility as far as the remaining months on the lease.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I guess that I have lived at the property for nearly 3 years and have always paid my rent on time and August has been paid.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You will have to resolve this with landlord.If you are on the lease then likely both of you are jointly and severally liable.They may release you here, but it is their judgment if you remain on the lease.I understand why you may want to relocate so contact the landlord and see what they offer if you are wanting out.The death of one tenant here in Texas does not resolve you if you are on the lease here.

Only the landlord can release you and you need to get that in writing if you can resolve it here.See what they offer to do as far as ending the lease.Check your lease to see if there is any outs listed pertaining to death.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again and sorry for your loss here.