Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I live in Colorado. Received ,in the mail, a photo radar

Customer Question

I live in Colorado. Received ,in the mail, a photo radar ticket from Gila County, AZ. Non certified mail. Do I pay?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona. Payson
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: If I should pay the ticket without being physically servered
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) The ticket does not have to be sent by certified mail - it is still valid even if sent by regular mail.

2) You can contest it, or pay it. However, if you do not contest it, you do have to pay even if you live in another county or state. This is because the states recognize each other's court decisions and judgments.

3) If you do not pay for it, then best case scenario is that it would be put into collections. Worst case scenario is that a warrant would be issued for your arrest for not dealing with this ticket in time. In addition, your license may be suspended in CO, and if so, also in AZ, since both are members of the Driver License Compact.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!