Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I hired a moving company, the broker got my, then send

Customer Question

I hired a moving company, the broker got my, then send another mover over to pick up my stuff. 1st, the price is double than the broker quoted me, then moving my stuff such as piano very carelessly, now after about one month of picking up, my stuff still in Chicago Warehouse when I was lucky got to talk to some one days ago. Since then, I can't get any call back, email back or anything from the broker which is called "protected Vanline". Going to their website, entering the reference code they once gave me, it's not even valid any more. What should we do? And do we have a league case? Thanks.
Regards,
Kay
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. I'm sorry to see that you are in this very bad situation. Yes, you have a legal case against both the broker and the moving company. Your written agreement with the movers should have a delivery date. If that date has not been met, then that is a breach of contract. You can sue the mover and the broker for the return of your money and also the cost of repairing any damage that they have caused to your furnishings. The broker can be joined in the suit as an agent for the company. In the meantime, it would be a good idea to contact another more reputable moving company to pick up your property from where it's being stored, and move it to where it is supposed to go.

Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How dose the lawsuit start?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I meant how do I establish the lawsuit?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can a lawyer be paid at the end if wins?
Could you provide me a preliminary letter to make them to respond to my calls and emails?

Lawsuits are mostly handled by attorneys because they are complex. Attorneys go to school for years to learn how to do what you are asking me to explain here in a few sentences. Lawsuits are started by filing what is called a "complaint" with the clerk of the court having jurisdiction over the type of matter that is involved. Yes, lawyers will sometimes file cases and charge a percentage of what is recovered, and that is the type of lawyer that I think would best serve your needs.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would you have one to recommend to me?

No. We are not permitted to recommend professionals. I can send to a list of attorneys in your county which are on-line. Or you may ask a friend who knows local attorneys. I can do that even after you enter a rating for this assistance.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.