Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I live in the state of. 3 years ago I totalled my vehicle

Customer Question

I live in the state of Virginia. 3 years ago I totalled my vehicle and due to bad credit I was unable to get another one on my own. My brother and his significant other had a vehicle that they were trying to sell but we're unable to because they were unable to sell the car for what was owed on it. So to help them out and myself, we made an agreement that I would take over the payments, leaving the car in the both of their names on the loan. I have put 5000.00 of work into the car, not including the monthly payments on the loan. Just last month my brother filed bank ruptcy and because he had 3 vehicles he had to file on two of them, one of which was the one I've been paying on. However, because his significant other's name was in the vehicle it's been kept in his name however, he is filing bankruptcy and I will lose the vehicle because of that. Being that we had an agreement and I've provided all payments and work to the car for the past 3 years do I have any ground or rights to stand on to sue to be reimbursed for what I've paid into the vehicle or to be able to keep the vehicle?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and

looking forward to assisting you today.

Was the agreement in writing?

I am about to sign off for the night. I will be back online tomorrow morning.