Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

On Dec 9th 2011, my uncle fareed owner of Sunoco Aplus

Customer Question

On Dec 9th 2011, my uncle fareed owner of Sunoco Aplus business at chester , pa was shot and killed at his sunoco station. till today the suspect is at large.
Sunoco collects rent of 9000 from us and royalty of 4-5000/month, but failed to install any security system or cameras at store, which could have deter the murder of my uncle.
Had sunoco installed the system, my uncle would'nt not have died or if he was killed, the suspect would have been apprehended .
Can we Sue sunoco for negligent and un safe environment, which led to his murder
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that Sunoco is not liable to install security cameras or any other security measure. If your uncle, as owner, wanted such security he could have installed it. However, even if cameras were installed, there is proof that such cameras may help catch criminals, but they do not actually stop crimes.
So unfortunately, no there would be no cause of action legally against Sunoco. Furthermore, even if there were a possible action, the statute of limitations on any such suit was 2 years from the date of death in PA, so it is too late to sue even if there were some possibility to do so.