How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37395
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Iwas married 35 yrs ago but iwas sepaarated to him 25 plus

Customer Question

Iwas married 35 yrs ago but iwas sepaarated to him 25 plus yrs ago.Now I got sick i want to apply my disability. i know date of marriage but i dont know his social security number we are not friend.he is receiving his pension now without my name,,Wht should ido the easiest way to do this?i need yur input
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you aware that you cannot get social security disability based on your husband's earning history? You can only get a spouse retirement benefit.

2. What are you trying to accomplish?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ii work for 27 yrs i will apply my own ..but in the applicatiojn they ask husband info
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.


Thanks for the additional information. The fact that you don't know your husband's social security number cannot prevent you from getting benefits. You benefits in no way have anything to do with whether you are married or not. All you can do is leave the information about your husband blank to the extent that you do not know it.

You will be fine. You do not have to know his social security number in order to get disability benefits under the law.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,