Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

Court went OK. What is settlement conference and what is

Customer Question

Court went OK. What is settlement conference and what is meant by plea date.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

This is Samuel. A settlement conference is an effort for both sides to come to an agreement on the issues and how to best settle them.

A plea date is an opportunity for both the prosecution and defense to present information that they want the judge to take into account when deciding on the sentence.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Court I found out there were kids in vehicle, I pleaded not guilty, have settlement conference next and then in September I have plea date. Charged with hit and run. Hoping I can find way to stay out of jail. Lower fine is 300.00 up to 1000.00,fine or up to 6 months in jail.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. And you have a local attorney or have talked to the public defender correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope. Going to fight my own battle,
Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

Ok. Well I am going to opt out and allow another expert to assist.Your deposit remains untouched. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

If not already answered, can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What must you bring to settlement conference
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

You must bring to the conference all documents and reports you intend to use at trial.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Explain. I never had a settlement conference before. What documents do you mean police report etc
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

If you are going to represent yourself then you need to know what documents you plan to introduce into evidence to defend yourself. A police report may be one such document. Witness affidavits may be another. Photographs of the scene of the accident may be yet another.