Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Have outstanding contract for new roof and paid deposit.

Customer Question

Have outstanding contract for new roof and paid deposit. Materials bought and paid for, but not on my premises. No work done by contractor, who has license revoked/suspended. Hearing held last week and pending judges decision and then ROC decision on use of Recovery Fund. At what point can I contact another contractor to have my roof done? Piece-meal repairs are expensive. Thanks.
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Normally one would send out an anticipatory repudiation letter first to the contractor to get confirmation that he is not going to fulfill his end of the bargain and once he fails to respond or fails to start work on a reasonable date in the near future, then he has officially breached the contract and now you can "cover" by looking for a new contractor to finish the job.

Here is a sample letter so you know what one looks like.