Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My dad and I have the same name not middle name and an

Customer Question

Hi my dad and I have the same name not middle name and an insurance policy that I have been receiving a statement on for years turns out they have my SS# ***** address and his birthday and they weren’t sure but its his policy. He is in a VA hosp as a paranoid Pscytzo and has been for many years though he is fine with meds. I filled out the paperwork and the check ($14,000) was sent to me. I took it to him and he said he wants me to have it (hes always said he wanted me to have money that he receives). I was going to put it in an accounts but if he gives it to me is that legal? I had him sign the back of the check to sign it over to me and I also wrote up a document stating that he gave the check to me and he signed it.
I was going to dep the check into my account since he said he wanted me to have it but I want it to be legal.
Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

So to be clear, the payout was legitimate, and it legally belongs to the father? Also, does the father have sufficient mental capacity to understand the transaction-ie that by signing the back of the check and the document that he is essentially gifting the money to another person?