How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5294
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A credit card company took me to court 10 years ago got a

Customer Question

a credit card company took me to court 10 years ago got a judgement against me but I couldn't pay them now ten years later there after me again I still can't pay them all I get is a small va check and small social securirty check which is direct deposit into my bank I have no property except 07 buick I use to goto the hospital for to see my doctor for cancer treatmernts
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

You are what is called "judgment proof" under the law. First your social security and VA funds are exempt from recovery by judgment creditors. Second, your car is exempt from judgment lien in your state. Thus, while they have a judgment against you, there's nothing they can do to get your assets. I'd be sure though that you notify your bank that the account is set up exclusively for the social security and va checks, and should not in any event be frozen.

Related Legal Questions