Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I worked for a contractor march thru may who constantly was

Customer Question

Hi, I worked for a contractor march thru may who constantly was unsure of employment to me. I received ten over unemployment payments totaling 3,160.00 during that time. I just received a letter from Maryland state unemployment stating my employer said that I was working during those months and received payments, which constitutes fraud and for me to attend a call to discuss the matter in two days. What shall I do. How shall I answer them without incriminating myself. I really was unsure on how to answer the unemployment teleprompter when it asked did you work this week (I answered no) because of the uncertainty and gaps of no work. I worked from home and for much of the time didn't work at all, but was still sent a payment on the 15th and 30th each month. For three weeks in april I was out of state, was unreachable and did no work at all.
I have half the money and can pay the full amount back.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, in similar situation, where unemployment recipient failed to disclose the fact that he/she was employed / receiving income when certifying for unemployment benefits, the State unemployment agency will not only pursue a claim for repayment of all overpaid money plus interest of 18% annually and 15% fraud penalty, but also will likely file criminal charges for unemployment insurance fraud, which is a misdemeanor in Maryland punishable by up to 90 days in jails and fine of up to $1000 and here is the link to the state agency explaining this type of issue in full detail:

http://www.dllr.maryland.gov/uiappeals/decisions/8-1301.shtml

So generally, there is only one option in similar situation, which is to hire an experienced local criminal defense attorney and to have this local criminal attorney handle all the communication with the state agency and hopefully your local criminal attorney will be able to negotiate a resolution of this unfortunate situation, without criminal prosecution.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.