Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How enforceable (or legal) is the compensation agreement

Customer Question

How enforceable (or legal) is the compensation agreement from my employer?
It was presented and signed in June of 2016, but has been backdated to December of 2015?
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

it is enforceable. It is not uncommon for parties to backdate their contracts. Although it is not a great practice, it is enforceable because when there is a written version (Date A) and a verbal version (Date B) that states the same thing, then the written version (Date A) applies. This is called the parol evidence rule. Amos v. Coffey, 320 SE 2d 335 - Va: Supreme Court 1984: "The parol evidence rule is a time-honored fixture in the law of this Commonwealth. "n controversies between two parties to a contract, parol evidence of prior or contemporaneous oral negotiations or stipulations is inadmissible to vary, contradict, add to, or explain the terms of a complete, unambiguous, unconditional, written instrument."

The only exception to this is if you claim fraud, in which case you'd have to prove that you were somehow defrauded in this matter. And since the contract is presumed to be valid/enforceable, the onus would be on you to prove that fraud occurred.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.