How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 40125
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ihave a sister put in a nursing home, against her will. She

Customer Question

Ihave a sister put in a nursing home, against her will. She suffers from alcohol induced cognitive decline/dementia, anxiety, depression & among others things. The only nursing home that would take her is out of state (Oh.). The hospital sent her there 6/1/16 after over 6 mo. ther., I had emergency guardianship, which I lost when she left the state. I did not know that would happen. She wants to come hm. & I want that too. How can I get here back to (Ky.) She wants to live alone but I know better, she will be drunk with in a day, she has not payed a bill except rent, elec. which I pd. for her. Has not filed taxes in 3 yrs., and now she owes several thousands in bills. I am disabled also, I have trouble walking, so driving 5hr. is out of the question. Can you guide me on what to do!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

What state is the sister in here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ohio is the state, I'm in Kentucky.
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

I would contact the Ombudsman here.

I am being honest not sure that bringing her back is the best thing , but Ombudsman can help with all of this including relocating the person and guardianship.

This is a state paid person here that advocates for all residents here.Thanks again

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, but for $50.00 I expected a little more. Like who will become her guardian?, etc. I don't think I need an investigater, I just wanted to know what I should do and my legal rights, so I don't do anything illegal.
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

The Ombudsman would need to set up guardianship in Kentucky if she returned home.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

The problem here is she probably needs to be in a lock up facility because of the alcohol and dementia issues, it would be hard for you to properly care for her.There might well be a facility in your state, the Ombudsman can help you locate one or see if that is an option.

I understand she wants out of there, but it can be a problem because I am not at all sure you have ability to deal with all these issues especially if you have health issues of your own.

At least she is getting the care she needs and apparently prospering to the degree she can.

I would talk this all over with the Ombudsman to see what would be best for her here and where that would be.I worry that this might be a real burden to you to take her in and deal with it all.Hard to monitor someo0ne 24 hours a day.I know in your heart you want her to return but sometimes that is not possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do want her home but still in a facility. I guess I could beat the payment and try to find her a place here,But like I said no one wants her.
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

I know its tough and she may have gotten worse during this time and truly need the care.Call the Ombudsman and talk it over, ask him about any facilities nearer to you.There may be options even if they have a waiting list here.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and the best to her and you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

You are so welcome.If you can 5 star rate it is most appreciated.Bye now.