Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

My brother recently received 20 years on conspiracy charges.

Customer Question

My brother recently received 20 years on conspiracy charges. The restitution is $450,000 minus whatever is assigned to the Co-Def. When he was arrested in a foreign country, they took $130,00 from him. We are not sure who took his money, the US or the foreign country. His attorney doesn't seem to think this is worth fighting for...his attorney was court appointed and basically worthless. How do we find out who took the money? No receipt was given, but he opened his safe for the US Embassy in that country.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: He was arrested in Thailand, his conviction/incarceration was in New York. He's an American Citizen and this case is HUGE and multi International.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I've tried. No one will take it as this case is not completely settled yet. The forfeiture is not set in stone as the Co-Ds have not all been convicted as yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: There's a lot, but he doesn't "fight". I've already asked the questions I have and he refuses to answer me/them/my brother. After the sentencing, he's become a ghost.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, only the convicted person and/or his attorney would have any legal standing to take any legal action or inquire into any confiscated / forfeited funds and unfortunately, a family member will not have any legal standing to start or pursue any inquiry into similar criminal case.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!