Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I rented a warehouse month to month. I got behind and the

Customer Question

Hi, I rented a warehouse month to month. I got behind and the landlord wanted me out of the space. I gave him notice I would end my tenancy June 1. I began moving and unfortunately my father passed away. I was unable to continue the move until the end of July due to the situation. I just returned last week to clean up more of the garbage, etc and walked into a disaster. The maintenance guy took anything that was there and threw it into a big pile in the middle of the floor. He broke the few personal things I had in there including pictures of my kids, etc. Then I noticed my refridgerator, my surveillence cameras/DVR, a full bottle of whiskey and a rock that had precious metal in it amongst other things were removed. I have gone and forth with this landlord who never served me with any notice but tells me I am evicted but at the same time is charging me for month after month when he says I have no access to the building and will not give me my belongings. What can I do?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sorry to hear about your father. Unfortunately since you gave notice that you would vacate by June 1 then they did not need to give you additional notice. However you can sue them in small claims court for your lost and damaged property.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here is the problem with that, my understanding is that they have to give you 30 days from that date. Also I understand that if you have property they are required to give you access to it and need to give notice that you have a certain number of days in order to remove it. Lastly he is still billing me rent. So I am not satisfied with your answer which just basically says your screwed. There are many laws to protect tenants from this type of action and you have noted none.