Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My son is hoping to be transferred to Canada to complete his

Customer Question

My son is hoping to be transferred to Canada to complete his prison sentence. In order to achieve this he must write a letter of remorse for his crime. Is there a set format for this letter? Should it be objective? To what degree should he include pathos? I know ethos must be there in order to convince the reader of his worth, but will logos, fact - why he did what he did, help him? Should the letter be pure remorse?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: He has a lawyer and an advocate who is working on helping him transfer. He hasn't been sentenced yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There are no templates for these letters I am afraid, because each crime is so different and thus the letters are all different as well. The two biggest things he needs to focus on are 1) the acceptance of responsibility and remorse for his actions and 2) the hardship and good cause reason why his sentence should be transferred to Canada. Finally, you also need to have acceptance from the Canadian corrections agency that they will take him and enforce the California sentence.
So, yes, it is mostly remorse, but it is also acceptance of responsibility for his acts as well as why there is good cause for the transfer.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.