How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 32775
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was working at a pre school. I accidently left a child in

Customer Question

I was working at a pre school . I accidently left a child in the building I was tending to other children got distracted because a child fell right as we went outside forgot to make head count , and now im being turned into dss for child abbandonment and it s been my carreer taking care of children . DSS will call me soon or should a lawyer call them what should i do ?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You want to hire a lawyer and let them handle it. Under no circumstances talk to DSS or the police or anyone else except your lawyer or with your lawyer's permission.

Usually these can be handled pretty easily if you have a lawyer. There will be some kind of "punishment" but nothing unreasonable.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Criminal Law or Family Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What kind of punishment what do you mean this my carreer at stake
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.

It can be all kinds of things. It can be a fine, it can mean you have to take classes, etc.

I represented a 1st grade teacher with essentially the same issues and she had to pay a fine and do some kind of extra work, take a few extra classes, and then couldn't be alone with the children when taking them out and in the building for a school year.