LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

On Friday, 7/29/16, @ approximately 8 PM, I signed papers on

Customer Question

On Friday, 7/29/16, @ approximately 8 PM, I signed papers on purchasing a Ford F150, King Ranch, year 2012 from Halderman Ford on Rt. 33 in Hamilton, N.J. It was late intothe evening and raining too. The next day, my husband and I noticed that the side windows (both) were tinted where you cannot see inside the vehicle from the outside. The back seat windows were also tinted but even darker than the front seat ones. I read some information on NJ Window Tint Law and still am not sure about the legality of the side windows. My question: It this legal or will I get a ticket as was expressed in some of the information found on line ? What should I do ? I know accurate interpretation of the law is important and I am no lawyer on this subject, I just want to be OK with the law. Please help me and I would be very appreciative.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The best thing to do is have the window tested and see if the tint is illegal. Another option, is to simply have them remove the tint, to avoid any problems and you can then hire a tint company to put on a legal tint, if you want some protection from the sun. Now, if the tint is from the factory, then it most likely is legal and you can call Ford directly and have them confirm. The dealer should have never sold the vehicle if it had an illegal tint on it and if they did, you can demand they remove it at this time. It should be a simply fix at a low cost and most dealers do it themselves or have a company to call.

Hi, are you still with me?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!