TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

If you suspect fraud 'after' you have sent a certified check

Customer Question

If you suspect fraud 'after' you have sent a certified check from your bank account to another bank, is it possible to notify the receiving bank to hold the check until further investigation is possible? The deposit receipt said the funds would not be available to the other party until the 3rd. Thank you!
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again.

Q: is it possible to notify the receiving bank to hold the check until further investigation is possible?

A: No, unfortunately you cannot do that. You can certainly ask, but the bank is almost certainly not going to hold the check. Checks are supposed to be treated as cash. It’s possible that your own bank will put a stop check on it, but the receiving bank will not.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!