Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I have a scenario with a possible contract issue via email,

Customer Question

I have a scenario with a possible contract issue via email, and I'm looking for guidance on this. I am looking for help by someone reviewing the email chains and to provide their professional opinion on if a binding and valid contract is in place. I can provide the email history via PDF. In brief:
I posted a car on Craigslist/Indiana site, as that's where I used to live (I moved to Oregon). The initial conversations mentioned price, but also that the buyer was using 3rd party financing. This was an important element to me, living far away, as I did not meet the buyer in person. A friend is watching the car in Indiana.
For nearly a month, the buyer mentioned using the 3rd party lender, even providing their contact info, as the lender required certain information to lend for this car. This fell through, and the lender wouldn't lend as they don't have an office in Oregon. The buyer suggested paying via a personal check or wire, which I do not agree with using. In the email chain, I did not use the terms or wording stating explicitly that the transaction was contingent on this loan. However, my stance is that as the introduction of the 3rd party lender was done by the buyer early in the email chain, and that a bulk of the email history mentions the lender, and the lender requirements.
This, to me, is an essential term of the contract, in that the 3rd party financier is mentioned repeatedly, and that it's relevant given the distance of the transaction, and that I never met the buyer, it offers more security than a personal check or wire.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again.

I'm really sorry, but I don't think that I'll be able to provide you with a useful answer. However, I will open your question for other attorneys to review. Thank you for using our service.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 4 months ago.

Unless you explicitly accepted his offer it will be hard to say that there is a valid contract. I do not think you would be required to go through it since you did not have a meeting of the minds on the transaction.