Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I had two tattoos done in the same evening. They were not

Customer Question

I had two tattoos done in the same evening. They were not good. I went back to the establishment and complained. They fixed one with the promise to fix the other. Unfortunately, they have since closed. Turns out, I got those tattoos from an artist who was having seizures. He was let go. Meanwhile, I still have a tattoo he did and they did not fix. I live 7 hours away and got these when I visited my father. What recourse do I have?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Is the tattoo place permanently closed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Apparently, the man who owned the establishment is currently in prison.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The tattoo is under my neck and is off-center. It slopes uphill and it's hideous.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if the tattoo business has closed and the owner is in prison, I am afraid that generally, there would not be any feasible legal recourse against anyone (since the owner of the closed business is in prison) and the only option would be to correct the tattoo at your own cost.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
they did something permanent on my body and I have no recourse? They had insurance when this happened. I don't understand. I have permanent damage from their business and I just need to move on?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This happened when he had gainful employment and was insured. It doesn't make sense that he goes to prison and I have to suffer for something he is responsible for prior to that.

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot tell you what to do in your case, but there is an old saying "you cannot get blood out of the stone", so generally, if the tattoo business is permanently closed and the owner is in prison, there would simply be nobody to go after for any damages / compensation under the circumstances and while I understand how frustrating and unfair such situation might seem to someone in your situation, but unfortunately, sometimes there is simply no feasible legal recourse that can be pursued and unfortunately, generally, unless there is an insurance policy

that was in force when the defective tattoo was placed and the insurance company agrees to review a claim, there could simply not be any legal recourse under similar circumstances.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can I find their insurance agency? They were insured when this happened. I find it incredibly hard to believe that a business can do damage to a person and not be responsible for it. The man that did this to me was fired. He had a medical condition. This business told me they would fix my tattoos. They did not. That's not ok. Seriously, what the hell?

Thank you for your follow up.

When did you get these two defective tattoos?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In 2010
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't visit often. They "fixed " one in 2012. When I went to visit my dad again, they were closed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They promised me they would fix them and then, they were gone.

What state is this in?

Why did you wait over 5 years from the time the issue took place to address this issue??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. I didn't wait for 5 years. I don't live there. They corrected one when I visited my dad. I couldn't get back and then they closed. They promised me they would fix it and went out of business. I'd like to send you a picture of what this man did to my body. The one tattoo they "fixed" was a five-legged cubbies bear pointed the wrong way and a backwards "C". I went with that coverup. The one between my shoulders is off center and uphill. It's unacceptable.

Thank you for your follow up.

I am not able to review any photos or documents for JustAnswer.com customers.

In which state was the shop located where you obtained these defective tattoos?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Springfield, Missouri

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, Missouri statute §516.140 , has 5 year statute of limitations when it comes to personal injury, so unfortunately, generally, once 5 years from the time injury occurred has passed, any legal recourse would be barred by the statute of limitations.