Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Why must you be in court 15 minutes early, can you pay

Customer Question

Why must you be in court 15 minutes early, can you pay citation before court or do you do that after
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. It is most prudent to be there 15 minutes early because your case may be called first. And so one would want to be there and ready to be heard because if your case is called and you are not present, a bench warrant may be issued for your arrest.

Yes, if you are going to opt to pay a citation and not have a hearing you can go to the clerk and tell them you want to pay the citation and cancel your hearing. The clerk will accept payment, if it is not a Must Appear citation and pull your case from the docket.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

IF the citation is a must appear, then you would pay the citation after the hearing.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I. Do prosecuting attorneys talk to defendants before court, do they do plea bargaining.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

It's possible, yes. But you need to be very careful what you say as anything you say can be used against you by the prosecuting attorney. What is the citation for? And what state?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Misdemeanor u severity hit and run 350.00 fine state of Wisconsin vs Matthew J Rausch. Unclassified misdemeanor. Up to 500.00 fine and or 30 days in jail. Don't have criminal record I don't, never been to court.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Thank you. I suggest that if there is a chance for jail, you consider not going this alone. You can go to your hearing and plead Not Guilty, and then tell the court you want the Public Defender, if you qualify. If you still want to risk a court hearing and possible jail, you can represent yourself, meet with the prosecutor before hand and tell them you want to plead guilty, in exchange for no jail and a minimum fine.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Since you do not have a criminal record, it is possible to get the prosecutor to agree to no jail, a minimum fine and probably some sort of probation. Also ask about any deferred adjudication you might qualify for which means, once you successfully complete your probation the matter can be expunged.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Here is a link to read the Wisconsin law on deferred adjudication.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can I plead guilty to stay out of jail. Because I would not make it in jail. I have full time job I can't afford to lose.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. ***** stated, it is possible but totally at the discretion of the prosecutor. But since you have no criminal record, it would seem to me they would be amenable to a deferred adjudication and no jail.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Bring proof of your full time employment. That can be in the form of paycheck stubs and or a letter from your employer stating you work full time and attesting to your character, etc.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ty, I never been to court before, are prosecuting attorneys leinant towards first time offenders
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Generally, yes, on non violent offenses. And this is not a non violent offense.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Was anyone hurt in your hit and run or any damage to any public or personal property?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No one injured just minor bumper damage officer told me
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. IN that case, I suggest, it is very possible the Prosecutor will consider a deferred adjudication as explained.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was told not to be scared and be honest is that true
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Yes. I suggest it can be nerve racking. But just be early, ask the clerk who is the prosecutor and then approach them and tell them you want to discuss a plea negotiation.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

If the prosecutor will not discuss a plea deal for a guilty plea, then I suggest you tell the judge you plead Not Guilty and consider consulting with a local attorney to help secure that plea for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can't afford lawyer, I doubt court would want to drag on non violent crimes Read courts are booked and they want to keep cases moving along etc
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Yes. That is absolutely correct. Of course, you may qualify for a public defender, too. If that is an option the PD can negotiate for you.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

As I said, it is a non violent offense, you are a first offender and so you have good options available to you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I should be glad to know that I won't go to jail. Just fine and probably probation
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

More than likely, yes. Though there is the penalty of up to 30 days in jail that can be imposed. And while I suggest it probably won't happen because you are a first offender and it is a non violent crime, it is always available for a judge to impose.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

And so not being familiar with your judge and prosecutor it is not a guarantee, but generally that is correct.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. Now I have that to worry about too. I can't afford jail. My insurance agent don't think I will be going to jail nor does my fiancee. I have so much to worth about, I just want to cry now.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

I provided you options. Good ones. I just want you to know all the possibilities. Please don't cry. You'll be fine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am praying for no jail. Just a fine plus court costs.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

And that is all possible. I will also say a prayer for you. Discuss the deferred adjudication with the prosecutor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ty, I learned my lesson since my accident. This is my case file.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Do you have other questions in this regard.

Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Ask the prosecutor if you can talk to him. Tell him you want to discuss a plea agreement that would give you a deferred adjudication. It will all be fine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nope, going to keep my head high tomorrow @ 9:30 a.m. I know I will be fine tomorrow. I prayed to Jesus last night and today. My fiancee don't see jail time for me nor does her grandma, when I called clerk of court, I said I don't want to go to jail and she said something about plea bargaining.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Yes. You will be fine. Try to relax, arrive early and good luck !

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wow you have faith in me, I feel better knowing I might not see jail time.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

You have faith. And that's what's important.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am a happy positive person who has worked hard for everything I have. I love life. I plan on being positive
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Me, too. I know the feeling. I need to sign off now for the night. I will pray it all works out for you. Please remember a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.