Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

I accidentally ran over my neighbor's service dog & the dog

Customer Question

I accidentally ran over my neighbor's service dog & the dog died from the injuries. Details are as follows. I was leaving for work. I backed out of the parking space. I looked around before I drove off. I saw nothing. I drove a couple of feet. I felt my car hit an object. I stopped. The dog had gone under my car. I stopped my car and I got out. I didn't see anything. I walked towards my neighbor's door. I told him, I hit your dog. He said, he's okay. Don't worry about it. So I left for work. My landlady called & said the dog died. The dog was unleashed & my neighbor left his dog wander the neighborhood unleashed & unsupervised. Clearly he was in violation of the city leash law. Am I legally responsible to compensate him for his loss.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

An Oklahoma plaintiff cannot recover if it is 51% or more at fault. If 50% or less at fault, it can recover, although its recovery is reduced by its degree of fault. If plaintiff is 10% at fault, plaintiff gets 90% recovery. Okla. Stat. Ann. Tit. 23 § 13.

If your neighbor allowed his dog to run around uncontrolled and unsupervised he would, most likely, be considered more than 50% at fault for the accident and not able to recover from you to compensate the loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.