Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My uber driver sexually assaulted me. I took on a free

Customer Question

My uber driver sexually assaulted me. I took on a free attorney bc I am a student and settled for a low amount of money. I still have to pay for counseling and antidepressants and so much more. Can I go after them again? This isn't fair.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This depends on whether you settled with just the driver, just Uber or both. When you settled the case you almost certainly signed a release of liability form. Once you sign that agreement and accept the money the case is over and you can not reopen it. The Courts will not let you.

BUT if you only settled with the driver you may still be able to sue Uber for negligence in screening the driver.

If you only settled with Uber you could sue the driver.

BUT if you settled with both Uber and the Driver you can't. Take a look at the settlement agreement. It will state in it who the parties to the agreement are.

I do understand how difficult and unfair these situations can be. Very rarely is the victim ever made whole in these kinds of cases. The system can be frustrating to say the least (and is one of the reasons I retired). I am sorry that some of what I had to tell you is not what you wanted to hear. But I would not want to mislead you into taking actions that would be costly and fruitless.

I do sincerely ***** ***** best for you, and hope that you be able to find some peace in the near future.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald