TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

We've are allowing our grand daughter to live in a house we

Customer Question

We've are allowing our grand daughter to live in a house we bought---no written agreement, just our intention to help her until she starts earning enough money to take care of herself and pay for the basic costs of the home (i.e. utilities, taxes, insurance, maintenance etc. but no rent).
Despite there is no contract other than an understanding that we are trying to help her get started, and the fact she has not paid for anything to date, do we have the right to enter the house when she isn't there and without he specific permission each time?
And while I'm asking, should we have a landlord/tenant agreement even if she only pays for the home costs and no rent?
Thank you, Ken
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again.

Yes, you do have the right to enter the house at any time without permission. Your granddaughter is not a tenant and you are not a landlord. Rather, you are merely a homeowner, and your granddaughter is a house guest. Accordingly, you may come and go as you please.

If you create a landlord tenant relationship, then that certainly would give your granddaughter more rights, and you would have fewer rights. If you leave things the way they are, then you have more rights and she has fewer rights. For example, if she were to do something that you do not like in the house, then you have the right to kick her out. You would not have to evict her first. On the other hand, if she were a tenant and did something that you did not like, there is a good chance that you would have no recourse at all, or at the least you would have to evict her in court.

If I were in your shoes, I'd leave things the way they are.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!