Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My husband has term care insurance and we need to invoke it.

Customer Question

My husband has long term care insurance and we need to invoke it. Home care agencies have offered to help us navigate the system but we believe that would tie us to that agency when we might want to investigate our home care options further. My husband is also a veteran and we would like to know what veteran's benefits he might be entitled to. We don't know quite where to begin the process!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first step you need to take is call the long term care insurance company you have, they will work with you to get that claim started. You do not need to use the home care agencies to set it up as long as you are able to call the insurer yourself and set it up.
As far as veteran benefits, you need to contact the VA, because they have programs to assist with home care as well. You can contact them at
You are going to need to make some calls and take some phone time but the VA will help you set up home care benefits if he is eligible and also you can get your long term insurer on the phone and they will assist you and walk you through the claim process.