Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have a friend in Turkey. Needs to come home. Immigration

Customer Question

I have a friend in Turkey. Needs to come home. Immigration there will not let him leave. Unless he pays 13000 thousand dollars. For unpaid bills. He doesn't have that kinda of money there to give them. He is from Washington State. Is there any way to get him back here. He has money here. Not there. I don't know if you can help him out or not.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

How long have you known this person? Have you ever met in person or only online?

What are they doing in Turkey? Do they want you t send the money?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He went there for a job. He is a Gemoligist. Digging forJewls. I have known him for a year. He needs money to return home. Immigration will not let him leave country without payment. I don't have that kind of money. Was wondering if there was anything legally I could do for him. To get him home.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Have you ever met in person or only online? Was he sent to Turkey by his employer or did he go as a freelancer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have met him. He went as freelancer
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

What are the debts owed for?

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

When was the last time you met in person?

How did you meet originally?

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Than you for your patience. I am actually concerned you are being scammed, as this fits the script of a very common "romance scam".

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Taxes He was'nt aware of or expecting. They let him have a place to stay. While detained. That costs money everyday he stays there.Taxes for digging on Turkey soil. we met through a friend. I seen him off to Turkey in April was only going to be gone for 2weeks. Went longer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No He is actually in trouble. He just wants to get home. I was hoping some how he could get a hold of some one to talk to.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. If this is a legitimate debt in Turkey and he has assets in the US then it should be a simple enough matter to transfer the money from the US to Turkey. There are US banks and conduits for sending money from the US to Turkey, such as American Express or Western Union.

Does he have an attorney in Turkey assisting him?

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Are you still online with me?