Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My roommate paid until July 31. He moved everything out on

Customer Question

My roommate paid until July 31. He moved everything out on July 29. This morning at 5:30 in the morning he showed up saying he has the right to come until the 31. I feel threatened by him; he is 6 feet 4 inches tall and I am a female 5 feet three inches. Since he moved everything out. The only thing he left was a box of cereal. He is doing this on purpose because he wants the deposit right away and I told him I have 21 days after he moves out. Even the police told him this and he won't accept it. Can I change the door lock and pay him the amount for the two days 30 and 31 which will be about $40.00?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he has moved out in a manner that would indicate to a reasonable person that the premises has been abandoned by him, then you could keep him from coming back onto the property. However, the problem is that as long as he is still on the lease, the police will not prevent him from entry without a court order and you do not have time for that. So if he comes back and you feel threatened you can call the police for any threats he makes and you can press charges against him for the threats.
As far as you changing locks, him leaving a box of cereal and nothing more means he has abandoned the premises and if you were to change the locks he could not claim unlawful eviction, since you have proof that a reasonable person would have believed he has abandoned the premises early before the end of the lease in 2 days.
I would suggest to you that if he keeps it up you need to inform him that if he comes there and harasses and threatens you again you will file charges against him for threats and have him arrested.