Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I rented a room in an apartment I rented to an individual

Customer Question

I rented a room in an apartment I rented to an individual for three months, this is the end of second month. I have given the individual a 30 day notion to leave. What happens if the individual to leave on August 31. I have agreed to allow my friend on that September 1st.Needless to say the relationship with this individual is not good
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You state: "What happens if the individual to leave on August 31."

I think you meant to say: "What happens if the individual does not leave on August 31."

If so, then someone in your situation can evict them. This involves filing a lawsuit in court and serving them, and then having a quick hearing. If they still do not leave once the Court orders it, you can get a Writ from the Court and then have the authorities relocate them by force.

The majority of tenants leave on time, or after the eviction is filed. Very few stay to the eviction hearing, and even fewer require the Writ.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.