Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My brothers and I have a partnership on property from our

Customer Question

My brothers and I have a partnership on property from our inheritance. We were 5 years behind on property taxes, but paid the '10 this year. Which had doubled from the original amount owed. This alone seems terribly excessive. And was not the case when we paid off our mothers taxes after she passed. The fines and penalties are roughly equal to the ordinal tax amount of $6000. Now we have been informed that the Bradley county court clerk has combined the '11 & '12 property tax and they will both be due simultaneously in March. My questions being that, is this legal in Tennessee? Also doesn't this seem predatory for the local municipallity to make it almost impossible to pay them. I can only imagine how difficult this will be for the very poor and older people who also got behind after the recession. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The problem is those fines and penalties and actually yes it is legal in TN to make people pay multiple years of back taxes on the same day. It is not predatory, it is government I am afraid and the taxes are delinquent, it is not like they were paid current. So, what you can do though is you can appeal to the tax assessors office and seek to get a reduction in the penalties, since the tax assessor in TN has power to reduce the penalties (not interest generally) and try to make a deal with them to settle the back years taxes.
Other than making some type of settlement or seeking a payment plan to avoid this issue in the future and avoid them putting the property up for tax sale, which would be worse, I am afraid that there is nothing more you could do and it is legal because the states pass laws to protect themselves and allow themselves to collect taxes due.