Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

This my second marriage, we have been together for 30 years

Customer Question

This my second marriage, we have been together for 30 years and for the most part have a happy loving marriage. 30 years ago I gave my new wife responsibility for the family finances, which she has managed admirably. In contrast my finances have not been spectacular losing large sums of my money in stock market speculations.
However, without my knowledge my wife has been salting away every penny she can get her hands on in reliable investments, which I do admire. The problem is she has accumulated over $1 million in these investments but will not share any of it regardless of the need.
She has been employed at one hospital for about 25 years and has taken part of her earnings and put those in to these savings. I have pointed out to her that those are in face household funds and I am entitled so at least some of those assets.
Am I correct and if so how could I go about accessing some of those funds.?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You are correct that the money accumulated during the marriage through your wife's investments is joint money belonging to both of you. However, a court will only get involved in a married couple's finances if they are asking to split the assets during a divorce proceeding. There is unfortunately no cause of action against a spouse for squirreling money away outside a dissolution of the marriage. Since you said you don't want to damage the marriage, you may want to see if she'll agree to talk to a therapist about this issue or try to determine another approach that might help her understand how important this is to you.

Do you have any other questions about this?