Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am currently on board of a 501c3 organization. I also

Customer Question

I am currently on board of a 501c3 organization. I also started an international school last year. On all the school paperwork it lists only my name and the name of a person not associated with the organization. We do however use the organization's 501c3 info to receive an exemption from taxes on our textbooks. If I resign from the organization, do they have the rights for the school? For example, can they make decisions for the school and in a sense "own it?" Or is it separate since their name is ***** ***** the paperwork except the tax number?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, the board of directors owns/controls/runs the 501c3. Even though your name is ***** ***** documentation, you do not own it and they can submit amended articles of incorporation to remove your name and list the board officers if they want and can file an amended notice (just a letter) to remove your name from the IRS documents, since your name is ***** ***** formation party of the entity.