Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My wife Sophie **********, 91 years old has been summoned

Customer Question

My wife Sophie **********, 91 years old has been summoned for jury duty. She and I both reside at ************ West Chester, PA, 19382. Sophie is living in a special section because She is not fully mentaaly concious. I hope this explain her inability to serve as juror.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about her condition. The following persons are exempt from jury duty in PA:

1. Persons over 70 years of age;
  2. Actively engaged members of the clergy;
  3. Persons having active care and custody, during hours of normal jury service, of a child or children under 12 years of age whose health/safety would be jeopardized by their absence for jury service, or a person who is essential to the care of the aged or infirmed persons;
  4. Actively practicing attorneys, physicians and dentists;
  5. Persons who have served as a grand or petit juror in a state or federal court within the past two years;
  6. Any person whose services are so essential to the operations of a business, commercial or agricultural enterprise that said enterprise must close if such person were required to perform jury duty;
  7. Volunteer safety personnel who serve without compensation as firefighters, members of a rescue squad or ambulance crew for a public agency. Public agency for the purpose of this plan means the United States, the State of Pennsylvania, or any unit of local government, department or instrumentality of any of the foregoing;
  8. Teachers or students in actual attendance at a university, college academy, or other school having a regular schedule of classes;
  9. People for whom jury service would cause undue hardship or extreme inconvenience.

She qualifies by #1 and #9. So all that someone in your situation has to do (I assume you are her legal guardian is to call the Court and explain the situation. The clerk of the court may ask you to send over some documents, but that is about it. She should then be excluded. In rare occasions, they may ask you to show for her and explain the situation in person.

If you tell me what court this is in, I can provide the number to call.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.