Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I work for a small contracting company that does not provide

Customer Question

Sir, I work for a small contracting company that does not provide paid sick days. They gave me a memo stating if I take any time off to visit a doctor I must hand in a doctors note to be excused. Is this in violation to the HIPAA privacy act?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No. HIPAA doesn't prohibit an employer from requiring a doctor's note for an excused absence. The employer s limited as to what they can do with the note but they are allowed to ask for it just as they are allowed to ask for doctor's notes under the ADA, the FMLA, and other laws.