Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I work for a small contracting company that does not provide

Customer Question

Sir, I work for a small contracting company that does not provide paid sick days. They gave me a memo stating if I take any time off to visit a doctor I must hand in a doctors note to be excused. Is this in violation to the HIPAA privacy act?
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

HIPAA addresses the requirement of your consent for a healthcare provider to release confidential health information about you. It is not violated if you provide a letter to your employer from your doctor, since it is not your doctor releasing information without your consent.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?