Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I have a old landlord that with to court without use knowing

Customer Question

I have a old landlord that with to court without use knowing first off. We moved in April 2010. We moved out Nov 2010 when my mother had a shock. We was on a month to month lease. On our credit report, it say legal item Jan. 22, 2010. We was not living there in Jan., and she is trying $3,300 from us. What can I do?
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Do you mean that your former landlord is claiming that you still owe her $3300 and it is still showing up on your credit report? Has she ever taken the matter to court against you before this?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so we moved out and I what back two on three week later to check the mail box. Then I was a paper rolled up in the door stating that we needed to go to court. My sister and I with to court because we were not understanding with was going on because my husband and I was on a month to month lease we moved out in at the end of Nov. When we went to court ***** ***** did not show up to court. The judge said he was throwing it out, and we would have to notify us if she wants to try to take us back to court. We did know nothing able any Circuit Court judgement on our credit until we check our credit report. We don't know nothing about her going to court after we went.

Hello again --

-

You should be able to get a copy of the court case that the judge dismissed because she failed to appear in court and continue on with this case against you. Basically, she gave up. If you have the case number ***** can go to the clerk's offices and ask for a copy of the original document where it should state DISMISSED across the document and if that is not available, then you should be able to get some type of written confirmation from the court that the matter has been previously DISMISSED. WHen you receive this written confirmation, you should contact the credit reporting bureau with a copy of the documentation from the court and the judge and the credit reporting bureau then has 30 days to correct the information in your credit report and if they do NOT correct it, then you next stop is a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission at ftc.gov -- because that is the US government agency that assists consumers when a credit reporting agency is not doing what they are supposed to be doing. (they need to remove the erroneous /wrong report from your credit report as soon as they are presented with a copy of the document from the court showing the dismissal of the case against you by the landlord in this matter).

-

-

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But why would the legal item be dated for January 22, 2010 if we did not move in until April of 2010.

Hello again --

-

It is most likely a mistake on the credit report. These types of mistakes happen ALL the time in credit reporting.

-

MARY

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok talk you
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 months ago.

HELLO AGAIN ---

-

yOU CAN CERTAINLY USE THIS MISTAKE AGAINST THEM IN COURT AS WELL. If . THANK YOU VAyou are able to show to the court hearing, you should point out to the judge the problem with these dates and make the claim that the landlord's case is not reliable against you (tenant) and should be set aside until the landlord can get his stories straight. I have seen cases against tenants get thrown out of court because of problems with the dates. I hope that all of this is worth it to you in the end. If you have not done so already, can you please press a positive rating in the stars rating section above these chat message boxes so I will be paid for my time assisting you with these matters. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating above . THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

-