Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I have a disgruntled ex-employee that is threatening my

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** I have a disgruntled ex-employee that is threatening my life, slandering my name, business, family and coworkers. i have all text emails and saved everything he has written on social media.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, Mark.

First of all, if he is threatening your life, you want to go to the police and file a police complaint. The police can and normally will look into the matter. He may be charged with what is known as a terroristic threat under Title 18 § 2706. See HERE.

Also, you can sue him for defamation for the accusations he has been posting about you. The burden is on the plaintiff to prove: (1) The defamatory character of the communication. (2) Its publication by the defendant. (3) Its application to the plaintiff. (4) The understanding by the recipient of its defamatory meaning. (5) The understanding by the recipient of it as intended to be applied to the plaintiff. (6) Special harm resulting to the plaintiff from its publication. (7) Abuse of a conditionally privileged occasion. 42 Pa.C.S. § 8343(a). You can get actual and punitive damages plus legal fees if the claim is proven true.

A threat to do this, or, actually doing so, may be a good way to go about having to stop him.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.