ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is it possible to sue your soon to be ex husband (corporate

Customer Question

Is it possible to sue your soon to be ex husband (corporate owner) and the person who he had an affair with (his HR Director) for emotional and (depression, anxiety, ptsd, compulsive and impulsive) disorders associated with their involvement and actions? Can the corporation be sued (they are insured)? He has spent thousands of dollars on her, she has multiple felonies for theft and other criminal stuff and we are no divorcing because of this extramarital affair which is still going on. The welfare queen is now living my comfortable lifestyle and I am practically living in poverty.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Such a cause of action would be called "alienation of affection", in which you would sue the paramour of your spouse for breaking up your marriage. That's essentially the only case that you can have against someone who does this, and unfortunately Washington state no longer recognizes "alienation of affection" claims (it was abolished in Washington state in 1980). The only States in which alienation of affection is possibly a viable cause of action:

• Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri (appears recently abolished)
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Utah

To be able to sue the company, you'd have to have a case against the company itself, or against an employee / director of that company that was acting in the scope of his/her employment at the time. As there'd be no underlying case against the employee / director, there'd be no case against the company. To illustrate this idea, if someone driving for his/her company runs into your car negligently, you'd be able to sue that driver, but also the company, because the employee was in the course and scope of his/her employment at the time that he/she ran into you. But if you don't have a case against the employee, you wouldn't have a case against the employer.

Now that being said, you could still seek a disproportionate amount of assets from his due to his intentional actions. But you wouldn't have a case against the company or her, no matter how egregious or awful those actions were, because Washington has done away with such a cause of action.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Hello?

I don't know if you were able to see my response. Were you able to view it?

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only then I am credited.