LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

If an relative is given authorization to a insured motorist

Customer Question

If an relative is given authorization to a insured motorist in Texas and cause an accident in another state will the insured motorist liable for the claim? In this case the person who cause the accident live in the state where the accident was caused.Sandra W***@******.***
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Would you please rephrase your question? I don't understand the facts or your question as you have stated them. For example, what do you mean when you write: "If an relative is given authorization to a insured motorist"? Authorization for what?

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The person who hit my car was not the owner of the car, the owner live in state of Taxes (Car was insured) the person who caused the accident live in Illinois(Accident was in Illinois) the owner authorized the defender to drive his car (2014) accident happen in 2015. Will the car owner be responsible for the claim because he give the defender authorization to drive the car.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Sandy,

Thank you for the clarification.

Unless the owner was a passenger in the car at the time of the accident, or the driver was an employee of the owner or was acting on behalf of the owner doing something for the owner, then no, the owner of a car is not automatically liable for damages caused by a person they loan their car to.

However, as the car was insured, suing the driver will be enough to collect up to the policy limits of the auto policy the car had.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The owner was the father (who lie in another state- Texas) and the driver who caused the accident was in illinois(live in Illinois) given permission by father to drive the car.. Will the owner insurance claim office cover the accident claims?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Hi Sandy,

Yes, the insurance company that provided liability insurance for the car in Texas will pay the claim for the accident that occurred in Illinois. The insurance is valid in any state where the car is legally driven, even if the car is not driven by the owner but by someone the owner loaned the car to such as a child or a friend.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Sandy,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Doug