KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW

I had to notify my franchise owner that I would be

Customer Question

I had to notify my franchise owner that I would be interviewing with another franchise owner and I am a manager of a men,'s hair salon and the 2 franchise owners are owners of the same Company. Since my recent franchise owner found out I would be interviewing she has pulled staff into the office trying to get them to say that I am taking my anger out on staff because I am unhappy. Which is not true . I have letters from staff stating this is not true and how wonderful I am as their boss ect..Now she wants to have meeting today my question is would that be considered a hostile work environment? I have no write ups in the almost 2 years I have been there. Can she try to demote me without any discipline write ups .?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.
Good morning. Employers have broad discretion in hiring, firing, and relocating employees in any manner beneficial to the company. There are exceptions to that, but such exceptions only apply if you are part of a union, you have a contract for your employment, or the company has rules regarding employee rights and termination. The policy must be in effect currently. Absent any discrimination against you, it will be difficult to stop any changes based upon the facts stated.