Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I received in the mail a Notice of Hearing Determination of

Customer Question

I received in the mail a Notice of Hearing for Final Determination of Liability for Cook County Non-Retailer Use Tax from Tristan and Cervantes (Attorneys at Law). They claim if I pay them $311, I will not have to go to a hearing on August 30, 2016. I do not even remember buying the vehicle referred to! What can I do?
Thank you,
David Tortuga
Evanston, IL
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You can contact the law firm and ask them to provide you with proof that you purchased the item in question. If they don't have any evidence, then they can't prove at the hearing that you owe anything. So that's step 1. It could be an issue of mistaken identity, but it's also possible if they do a lot of these cases that they just put the wrong vehicle information on the form, and that can be fixed.

If you didn't buy the vehicle they're claiming you did (and they won't drop the case), you'll be able to go to the hearing to defend yourself and explain why you don't owe the money. But hopefully you can get things worked out with the lawyers first. Sometimes they'll accept less money than they're asking for, so that's another option, but you probably want to see their evidence first.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?