John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

Can my job require me to remove my wedding ring

Customer Question

Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

What is the states purpose for which they are asking you to remove the ring? Are they applying the standard equally to all employees? If not, what is the basis for different treatment among employees?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Stating safety. I work in the paint shop at General Motors fscility. I do use any tools beside a small yellow ball no cords or battery operation attached. I wear gloves
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is not a corporate wide policy just being enforced at Bowling Green
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

In this scenario it would be legal to require removal of a wedding ring as it is applied equally across all persons. Regardless of whether it's a true safety hazard in the shop or not, it is within the general prerogative of management to create safety policies. The policies cannot be discriminatory toward a protected class however. You have not identified that it is applied to only a certain class other than the Bowling Green facility, which is not a class recognized by law. For example, if they made only men take them off, then you may have a case; but not in the instance you describe. Thus, I am not of the opinion that you have any actionable claims.

Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.