How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33231
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife was in an accident a couple of years ago and

Customer Question

My wife was in an accident a couple of years ago and according to the insurance company she was found to be 75 percent at fault so the insurance company only paid for seventy five percent of the repairs. He is suing my wife for the other 25 percent of what it costs to repair his vehicle including vehicle rental. He was the one who struck my wife on the right rear quarter panel and our vehicle was totaled. We only received $12K for our 2009 Camry and it cost us $24K to replace it. The officer never gave her a citation for the incident. Is there a way she can avoid having to pay the additional $2500 they are asking for?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Did you tell the insurance company she was being sued?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They actually told me that the individual was suing us for the rest of the costs.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can we appeal the judges decision to get more time to pay?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Typically in Texas when the insurance company pays a claim they get the claimant to sign off on an agreement that they won't sue for any more money. Was that not done in this case?

Did the insurance company not provide you a lawyer?

You can appeal the order but it is very hard for someone to collect on a judgment in Texas anyway.