Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am writing a demand letter to a woman i rented a room from

Customer Question

hello,
i am writing a demand letter to a woman i rented a room from here in the state of WA. i was in NY at the time (one month ago). she answered my craigslist ad by email.
my ad specifically stated i was coming to Portland OR for the first time and needed to be near public transportation and w/in walking distance to a grocery store.
she emailed me, stating she was in the city of Vancouver WA and had been for 30 years and that she was on a bus line and the Ctran . she is NOT in Vancouver, but in a tiny town, Ridgefield, 25 minutes north of Vancouver, NOT near any public transportation nor w/in walking distance to ANYTHING nor near the city of Portland !
we spoke for one hour on the phone...she acted like my best friend, and she wouldn't give me her address (i wanted it, and stated this in writing) until i mailed her the check for $600 for one month's rent.
she lied about everything, and i had to find another place after being there for 4 days. she's in such a remote area, i didn't even have cell service in the room i rented.
she told me we had a verbal agreement about the rent and would not refund me anything.
i spent 200 on cab fairs and another 800 to rent another room.
my plane fair was 400 from NYC.
i'm sending her a demand letter... not sure if the plane fare and room rental here for 800 is fair to ask for. BUT, i would NOT have left NYC at that time, but this was the only room rental i was interested in, since she made everything sound so appealing. i am NOT an inexperienced traveler either. she completely put me in a financial bind !
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?